Friday, August 26, 2011

Adon Olam

As this week comes to a close there is much that has happened that can make one's heart heavy. For us here in Israel, there is still shelling in the south and from Gaza~ people being wounded or killed ~ having to run to their  shelters. In our home state in the US, there has been a raging fire, an earth quake, and now evacuation for the coming hurricane. This week, we sat with friends and listened to their troubles about marriages and children and life situations. We have watched as those who loved G-d turned their backs and walked away. Sometimes it is all too much to carry.

As we enter Shabbat we remember the command to not carry a burden on the Shabbat. This was written against carrying goods into the city in order to sell on the Shabbat. But we also see it as an injunction and encouragement to not carry the burdens of our heart into the Shabbat. As we light the candles later today~ opening the door to our Shabbat~ we will lay all these heavy, hurtful things down. How can we do it? It is an act of trust. We remember the One who created everything. Who knows everything. Who is our Everything. And for the next 26 hours, we will not pick up the burden but trust Him that all is in His very capable hands. We will enter into the Rest He has provided knowing that in the Light of His Love.... we will find Peace.

Shabbat Shalom ya'll

The Lord of the Universe who reigned
before anything was created.
When all was made by his will
He was acknowledged as King.

And when all shall end
He still all alone shall reign.
He was, He is,
and He shall be in glory.

And He is one, and there's no other,
to compare or join Him.
Without beginning, without end
and to Him belongs diminion and power.

And He is my G-d, my living G-d.
to Him I flee in time of grief,
and He is my miracle and my refuge,
who answers the day I shall call.

To Him I commit my spirit,
in the time of sleep and awakening,
even if my spirit leaves,
G-d is with me, I shall not fear.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments. Your post will appear soon.